Weedsport Central School District is committed to promoting the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct, and fair play at all sports activities. Good sportsmanship is defined as those qualities of behavior which are characterized by generosity and genuine concern for others. The concept of “sportsmanship” must be taught, modeled, expected, and reinforced in all competitive activities. To that end, the following are expected to be adhered to:
ALL CONCERNED WITH ATHLETICS
It is the duty of all concerned with athletics to:
- Emphasize the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
- Eliminate all possibilities which tend to destroy the best values of the game.
- Stress the values derived from playing the game fairly.
- Show cordial courtesy to visiting teams and officials.
- Establish a positive relationship between visitors and host.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the sports officials.
- Achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules of the game and the standards of eligibility.
- Encourage leadership, use of initiative and good judgment by players on the team.
- Recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well being of the individual players.
- Remember that an athletic contest is only a game – not a matter of life or death for player, coach, school, fan, or community.
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian/spectator to:
- Keep the cheering positive and make no profane/degrading comments or display inappropriate gestures. It is acceptable to applaud and cheer positive and desirable exploits but booing, attempts to distract players during crucial moments such as foul shooting or kicking extra points as well as comments on the appearance or personality of individuals (including, but nor limited to, players and officials) have no place at the activities.
- Avoid actions which offend visiting teams or individual players.
- Show appreciation of good play by both teams.
- Learn the rules of the game in order to be a better informed spectator.
- Treat all visiting teams and spectators as guests and show respect.
- Accept all judgment of coaches and officials.
- Encourage all spectators to participate in the spirit of good sportsmanship. When attending school functions, spectators are expected to comply with the guidelines for behavior as detailed in the Weedsport Central School District Code of Conduct.
It is the responsibility of the student-athlete to:
- Demonstrate self-control and respect for others at all times, be they coaches, officials, spectators, or other student-athletes.
- Remember that participation in athletics is a privilege that is not to be abused by unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Deal with opponents with respect throughout the contest and shake hands after the competition and congratulate them on their performance.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the officials.
- Remember that improper behavior while in uniform, in your school, or in your community, reflects poorly upon yourself, your family, your school, and your community.
- Understand and abide by the rules and regulations of the game.
- Accept victory with grace and accept defeat with dignity and class.