Welcome to the Weedsport Central School District Special Education Department. The Department of Special Education works throughout the year to meet the needs of students identified with an educational disability and who are supported by an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Students may be eligible starting at age 3 through high school commencement or the year in which the student turns 21. We work with the Cayuga County Department of Health to provide programs and services for children ages 3-5 who qualify under the committed on preschool special education.
If you as a parent or guardian suspect your child is having a physical, behavioral or academic weakness that impacts learning and may require special education services, you may make a written referral to the address (2821 East Brutus St. Weedsport, NY 13166). Please include: the child’s name, address, telephone number, date of birth, age, school attending, and a statement describing the child’s difficulty.
Response to Intervention Team (RtI)
The Response to Intervention Team (RtI) at the elementary school and the middle/high school exists for the purpose of reviewing students when concerns exist regarding academic performance or behavior. The teams meet at least once monthly and develop plans for remediation of the situation. Whenever possible, it is expected that a child will be reviewed by this team before a referral to the Committee on Special Education is made. Learn more with NYSED’s parent guide to Response to Intervention.
- Resources and Education for Families to reduce isolation and empower those who car for people with developmental disabilities or special heath care needs: click here.
- Resources for Early Intervention, Preschool Special Education, and Child Find: click here.
- Counseling and Mental Health Resources, Cayuga County Clinic: click here.
- For information on the 504 Process, click here.
Committee on Preschool Special Education Information
The CPSE reviews eligibility for special education services for children ages 3-5. If you are concerned about your child’s development in language, speech, motor skills, or pre-academic performance, you can request a referral to the CPSE. Once the referral, your consent, and your choice of evaluator is received, your child will be scheduled for an evaluation. All evaluations include at minimum:
- a psychological evaluation to assess cognitive development
- a social, developmental, and medical history provided by the parent
- an observation of your child in their natural learning environment (home or preschool/daycare)
Additional evaluations can include speech/language, occupational therapy, physical therapy, or other evaluations based on the referral concern. If you would like to request a referral for your child to be evaluated by the Committee on Preschool Special Education, please call the Office of the Director of Special Programs to request a packet, or print and complete the document found here and return to:
2821 East Brutus Street
Weedsport, NY 13166